Tuesday, February 13, 2007

An Invitation to Readers - Let's Have a Drink

by Kyle Michaelis
It was about a year-and-a-half ago that I was first contacted by the Drinking Liberally organization about "promoting democracy one pint at a time" by designating a time and place for like-minded Nebraska progressives to get together, have a drink, have some fun, and maybe even talk a little bit of politics somewhere in between.

Although these "Drinking Liberally" events are a fantastic idea and a proven success that offer a great model for community-building, I've so far held off on actually committing to the idea because I've never been much of a host and have always had doubts that anyone would actually attend (at least, without someone much cooler than myself organizing it).

Well, I still have those same doubts and am not announcing Nebraska's first, long-awaited "Drinking Liberally" chapter. A similar opportunity has arisen, though, that should make for an excellent trial run for the general concept.

So, to any New Nebraska Network readers who will be in Lincoln this Thursday, February 15th, I want to invite you to join the recently reinvigorated Under 40 Democrats for a mixer and social hour they'll be hosting from 5:00 until 7:30 pm at the awesomely-named "Marz Intergalactic Shrimp & Martini Bar" on 1140 'O' Street.

The New Nebraska Network has had no hand in planning this event, but I've attended some of their prior socials and have really met some very nice people - of all ages, despite the Under 40s name. And, since I'll be attending this Thursday's event as well, I thought I'd at least hold out the opportunity for any interested readers to join myself and some really fantastic people for a drink or two.

If anyone cares, here's your chance to break through our usual online anonymity, putting an actual face and even some personality on this guy who loves the sound of his own typing so much (me). Maybe no one will take me up on that offer, but I figure - what the heck - might as well give it a try.

If anyone does decide to attend after reading about the Under 40s here at NNN, please track me down at the event and introduce yourself. I'd love to hear some ideas for what I could be doing better and on what sorts of issues readers are really passionate about. Of course, it's not a business meeting. The whole point is to have a good time, and I intend to do just that - hopefully meeting some great people in the process.

I should mention that the event and appetizers are free, although drinks are not. And, the Under 40s will be taking free will donations at the door. From there, we'll just have to see if there's any interest in having these sorts of get-togethers with some regularity. I do know, however, that there are already rumblings about getting some Under 40s events going in Omaha this spring, and the New Nebraska Network will certainly be giving Omaha readers a heads up on that opportunity if/when it gets off the ground.

So, remember:
Thursday, February 15th; 5 - 7:30 pm
Marz Intergalactic Shrimp & Martini Bar
1140 'O'Street (corner of 12th & 'O'); Lincoln
Hope to see you there!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome!

2/13/2007  
Blogger Kyle Michaelis said...

Let me be the first to admit, this was very poor timing on my part.

Please note that the Under 40 Democrats is purely a social group who in no way endorsed or subscribed to the New Nebraska Network's use of the "Drinking Liberally" label.

Both the Under 40 Democrats and the New Nebraska Network encourage people to have fun but to do so responsibly. And, if you've had too much to drink, FOR GOD'S SAKE, do not get behind the wheel.

It's unfortunate but very true that many of us need such a reminder from time to time. Thankfully, this week it wasn't a real tragedy that provided us that wake-up call.

2/16/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home