Monday, July 24, 2006

Rewriting NNN History

by Kyle Michaelis
For the first time ever, I've entirely removed a post that was written and published earlier this evening. Though shooting for humor in its tone, the article touched on and made not all that incredibly subtle reference to the personal life of a certain political candidate's sister. I thought by trying to have some fun with the post I could keep my hands clean of the underlying controversy, but - ultimately - this sort of subject matter just can't be made to fit with my personal goals for this site or the somewhat vague standards of integrity to which I try to hold myself.

Though no more than a few dozen readers read this earlier post, I want to apologize to them for my failed attempt at wit. Apologies, too, to anyone who might have been offended by my having fun with a controversial subject - the struggle for equal rights and protections for Nebraska's Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered community - that I should not have made light of in a sorry bit of misguided but well-intended social commentary that could not be divorced from its potential function as a political hit-piece. The candidate in question has done little to nothing to earn voters' respect, but his family does not deserve to be exploited as a political liability, even if that is how this one member has been treated by the relevant campaign.

Word is that the full story will be reported shortly. Instead of encouraging the damage control mentality that is likely to result, I hope this can be a starting-off point for a debate of substance on the important issues of family and community that arise, along with a discussion of what oft-talked-about but little examined Nebraska values truly say about our state.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kyle Michaelis said...

And where is your apology Bulldog? Or, better yet, where are your solutions?

Just because I try to hold myself to a higher standard doesn't mean I'll grin and bear your petty and hypocritical insults.

And, for the record, I insinuated nothing. The evidence is there. I only directed attention to it - for a short time, by use of satire - while pointing out how diseased the political agenda of a certain Republican candidate truly is.

The story and the underlying issue are relevant, but they are not mine to break. And, I certainly should not have trivialized them as I did. But, you can't silence truth with cries of dirty politics.

I strive to be part of the solution. That's hard to do in the heat of a campaign in our present political climate where some hope to paint a simple partisan label as some sort of modern Scarlet Letter.

Practice what you preach, my friend. I will try to do the same.

7/25/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you did the right thing here, Kyle, though I doubt that the removal of a post conforms to the "bloggers' code" if there is such a thing. My gut reaction is that Ricketts' sister is not "fair game", though it's hard for me to say. I don't know how supportive she's been of his campaign. In any case, it would indeed be bad for a partisan political blog to involve her, and satirical beating around the bush might be misconstrued as slimy innuendo in this case.

7/25/2006  
Blogger Street Sweeper said...

Kyle, I don't think outing someone against their will is bieng "part of the solution." This was not a good move on your part.

7/25/2006  
Blogger Kyle Michaelis said...

SS -

There was no "outing" - the evidence is all readily available and out in the open. As it should be of someone who, rightfully, is not ashamed of who she is.

Besides, the article was about being a lawyer - any other subject matter was left to the readers' inference. Still, I agree about it being improper. Were I not operating on good authority that the news was already on its way, I would have stuck by my original instinct not to touch it.

Of course, now I'm uncomfortable with even keeping this discussion online because its serving the same practical effect.

7/25/2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Because your side of the political aisle believes that the innocent in question is less than a person, and deserves no rights in this country.

7/25/2006  
Blogger Kyle Michaelis said...

Bulldog-

The post really did function on two levels - neither of which were misleading in the slightest. Sorry you didn't grasp that/didn't explore the substantiating links I provided.

Ultimately, I decided putting a family member in the spotlight as I had was improper. But, both what I wrote about Ricketts' sister being a lawyer and what I hinted at in the article's subtext were entirely factual.

I was having fun with the underlying controversy - not making it up. Perhaps, when this all blows over, I'll repost the original article so folks can see for themselves what I was going for, judging my work and my integrity accordingly.

7/25/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is what you've posted now any different than what you originally wrote? In the end, you're bringing in an innocent person and airing information about them for political gain. I find this whole thing repulsive.

7/26/2006  
Blogger Kyle Michaelis said...

Anonymous is right. This debate has become far more revealing than my original post. With this discussion online, there's no reason for the original piece not to be so as well.

Fire away or let the issue die. I stand by what I wrote and accept what consequences may result.

7/26/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home